A great smile along with healthy hygiene will make the holidays much more enjoyable this year. On occasion, we guzzle down sweets for no other reason than that they are so readily available to us. Here are some tips to help keep your smile healthy for Halloween, and the rest of the year:
– Avoid hard candy, which can chip teeth, and is difficult to brush away, or sticky candy, which can stick to the teeth’s enamel, and speed up the rate of tooth decay.
– If you have children, swap out their candy for toys they may have been interested in, as a way for them to enjoy the joys of trick-or-treating, but also to stop them from eating buckets of candy afterward. You could also offer a buyback program to the child, and offer the child money, or incentives, in exchange for their candy.
– Visit your dentist for an oral exam and professional cleaning.
– Try to indulge in healthy treats. Your sweet tooth need not be limited only to sugary snacks this season.
– Be sure to remember that the longer candy is in contact with your teeth, the longer tooth decay can occur. As always, be sure to brush and floss.
– Dispose of any extra candy lying around after the holiday, as you may find yourself eating it for weeks afterward.
If you have any questions or concerns, or to set up an appointment, please call us to at 952-758-3003, or stop by our office in New Prague, Minnesota. From everyone at New Prague Gentle Dental Care, we wish you a safe, fun, and happy Halloween!